9/27/2009

Cake pictures any one? Sleep any one?

I can't believe I survived this week!  However, I am grateful.  I wasn't over whelmed with orders, but I had to get back in the groove of "6th grade" life.  I had 2 really great orders.  This is where the title comes in.
Friday began at 5:30 a.m. and ended Saturday at 4:00 p.m.  I was so happy to be finished and to lay down.  I still need rest.  I'm sure all cake decorators understand  sleepless nights.  So do new mothers, doctors, attorneys, college students and I know the list goes on and on.  It's not the decorating, but standing on my feet for that long is what takes a toll on me.  So, I was to tired to think camera, I didn't get pictures!  Don't worry!  My customers are great and will be sending some.

The first cake was a copy of one I have previously done and we changed the colors a little and added some rice paper butterflies.  They loved it.  I hope they enjoyed the flavors.  The bottom tier was Italian Cream Cake, middle tier was Carrot Cake and the top tier was Red Velvet.  All were filled with Cream Cheese Butter Cream and iced with it too.  Here are pictures (from the Chambers wedding I did this summer).  The ribbons and bows on the cake this week end were more of a burgundy color and the butterflies were burgundy and black, blue and black.  Maybe this will give you an idea of  what I worked on.










The second order was for a 3D Horse.  It was a challenge, but I finally got it.  The goofy horse head did not want to stay on.  Every time it was attached, I'd move to a different project, turn around and the head would have flipped off the body.  What was funny about it, was it looked like a baked chicken with out a head.  Other wise, I would have been really frustrated.  The solution was to cut a square Styrofoam piece and cover it with yellow for a bale of hay.  Victory!  Jill, my customer and all her guests loved it.  One of Jill's friends, told me she wanted me to make her next cake-she had to have one.  So, Jill told her it was O.K. to challenge me, I would find a way to pull it off.  Thanks for the vote of confidence Jill.  You're great! As soon as I can, I'll post a picture.

Please pray for me, I have foolishly entered the Tulsa Sugar Art Show next week end and I'm still not sure which direction to go.  How about I get your opinion on which design idea I have.  (I know, most people have already started their designs months ago, but I don't have that much time.)  I'll still put out my best.

Check the side bar for the poll and please let me know what you would like to see.  I would even apreciate suggestions if you have any.  I just might like them more than mine.  Thank you for your opinion!

Before I go I want to share the Cream Cheese Butter Cream recipe I use.  You should give it a try even if you don't like cream cheese!  I actually despise cream cheese, but I could eat this one for days!  YUM!  I found the recipe on Cake Central, so I know it is not a secret and I hope you enjoy it. 

Kathy Finholt from Iowa is the original creator.

Crusting Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened (Land-O-Lakes)
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening ( Sweetex high-ratio shortening)
1 pound cream cheese, softened (Philadelphia Cream Cheese)
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract (
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner’s sugar (C&H Powder Sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
1. Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
2. This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
3. If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Some day I plan on opening a specialty bakery in my home town.